I was never a fan of coffee, my go to drink of choice is always a nice warm cup of tea but some days you want a thicker and chocolate-y fix which is makes hot chocolate perfect. You have probably noticed when you opt for dairy free milk alternatives in coffee shops the price jumps significantly… so why not gather a few of the ingredients and brew yourself a cup at home!
There are many different ways to make Vegan Hot Chocolate. Some recipes call for healthier ingredients while others include some not so great ones so we have put together recipe with a number of alternatives that you may pick and choose to suit what you like best.
With any recipe, play around with the amounts and see what works best for you.
- Almond Milk (or coconut, rice, cashew) – 1 Cup
- Cocoa Powder – 1 tbsp
- Vegan/ Dairy Free Chocolate Chips – 1 tbsp
Those are the basics but you can always add a little more to enhance the flavour to your liking. You have a choice of options to add (but of course not all of them together):
- Dates 2-3
- Cane Sugar
For Flavour: ¼ tsp- ½ tsp
- Vanilla Extract
- Vanilla Bean Powder
- Peppermint Extract
For Saltiness: a pinch of
- Sea Salt
- Cayenne Pepper
Remember you can always top the drink with vegan marshmallows or coconut whipped cream. You may also add Arrowroot Power to extra thickness and added health benefits. It helps digestion, immunity and is a good source of potassium.
- Warm up the dairy free milk
- You can add the rest of the dry ingredients one by one (or add dry ingredients all together in a separate bowl and add to heated milk altogether)
- Whisk every together on stove top
- Bring to the perfect temperature