You’ve probably heard about the Ayurveda technique of oil pulling and how wonderful it is for your health…especially your oral health. After brushing your teeth with some coconut oil or swirling it around in your mouth for a couple of minutes you will see how squeaky clean your teeth will feel. That’s essentially what oil pulling is…swooshing around oil in your mouth, similar to mouth wash (but chemical free of course). Elements from the oils are drawing out bacteria and toxins from your teeth and gums. This liquified oil can get into many places your regular toothbrush can’t. Often, I will brush my teeth with natural toothpaste and then oil pull or vice versa depends on the day. I always do this for a minimum of 10 minutes. Many people gag and spit out the oil after just a couple of minutes the first few times they try it because the feeling is so unusual. If you’re finding it difficult try to keep it in your mouth for at least 5 minutes so it can have some effect. Also, oil pulling for too long can be harmful because of the potential for bacteria and toxin re-absorption. I would say to do this between 10-20 minutes. Its best to oil pull when your mind is distracted. I usually choose to read, write a post, do research or find something interesting and informative on youtube while you sit there and swish coconut oil around in your mouth. Before you know it, times up!
NEVER swallow that oil, its filled with the collected bacteria its been extracting from your mouth, you must always spit it out.
My oil of choice is coconut but its not the only one you have to use. You can use olive or sesame oil for this too.
Health Benefits of Oil Pulling:
- Maintains oral health: prevents bleeding gums and tooth decay, whitens teeth, helps reduce plaque, helps reduce mouth odor
- Helps cracked lips
- Moistens dry throat
- Draws out a build up of toxins in the mouth
- causing relief to the immune system
- giving you more energy
- helping with detoxification
- alleviating work on the liver and kidneys
- Helps to clear up skin and acne (since toxins are being removed with the oil the body doesn’t have to work harder to release them another way which is often through the skin)