Water is essential to life. Our bodies as well as the rest of life on the planet need it to survive and function properly.
Benefits of drinking water include:
- Increased Energy: Dehydration causes fatigue and weakness. When your body doesn’t get enough fluids it can also cause muscle fatigue causing them not function properly.
- Maintains balance of bodily fluids: We are made up of more than 50% water meaning we constantly need fluids for our bodies to function well. Having our fluids in balance, we promote the health functions of our bodies including digestion, circulation, absorption and carrying nutrients to our cells.
- Moisturizes Skin: Skin is made up of about 64% water which means it needs to remain hydrated to be healthy. Dry skin can be attributed to or a result of a number of things including allergies, acne, eczema, psoriasis and even malnutrition.
- Promotes Kidney Function: Our kidneys are the tool our bodies use to flush out toxins. If there aren’t enough fluids in our bodies, the kidneys hold onto a quantity of the limited supply on reserve for it to be able to function which prevents toxins and waste from leaving the body as much as they should be.
- Prevents Constipation: Our bodies constantly need hydration, when it doesn’t get it, it can take fluids from the stool, causing constipation.
How much water we should drink varies among everyone and different factors can have an effect such as how much we exercise and the type of environment we live in (humid vs cold climates). We all hear the saying of drinking 8 (oz.) glasses a day which comes out to about 2 litres. Consider that as your base point and go from there, feel yourself out and see how much works for you. What encourages me to drink more water is carrying around a bottle. Invest in a good quality BPA free bottle that is practical for you to carry and use everyday. Its easy to refill and always works as a reminder to drink more water.
If you don’t enjoy drinking plain water you can add a number of different fruits and veggies for flavour including as cucumber, strawberries, lemon, orange or grapefruit really anything that you like. Peel produce that isn’t organic. Keep away from sugar and chemical filled additives, they have no nutritional value and harm your health more than help it.
You can also add different herbs to your water such as mint, basil, rosemary and thyme. You can get creative with drinking water at home too by filling up a glass or BPA free pitcher/jug throughout the day while your home or as a beverage to serve your guests that is simple and refreshing.
Get creative and play around with mixing herbs and different fruits. Its best to make sure the produce gets well infused into the water by letting it soak in, the longer the better.
Drinking the right amount of water is essential to our health and many of us don’t get enough water intake. For us to feel like our optimal selves we need our bodies to run properly. Hopefully this can give you some ideas on incorporating more water into your life.
Listen to your body when it tells you its thirsty…it really needs it!